History of the Rutherford Manor
STORY OF THE FLESHER DECENDANTS
The story of the Flesher descendants that have occupied Rutherford Manor for 4 generations is a long history of patriarchs who specialize in the butchery trade. This ancestral occupation bore roots in the butcher shops of Scotland and Germany, their craft has been honed for hundreds of years. The Flesher band was known for their unusual ability to provide for their communities through many difficult and trying times. During plagues and famines the villages of Flesher clansmen always had provisions. It was said their vocation gave them access to many uncommon sources of meat which in turn were shared with family, friends and neighbors alike. Surrounding counties often spoke of the uncommon fitness and vigor of certain villages; shared amongst them were the wares of the Flesher kinsmen.
The Fleshers immigrated to Canada in 1831, where they established a meat market in a remote Ontario community. Eventually the clan descendants came west settling in the Edmonton area in late 1929, where Alastor Flesher set up a thriving butcher’s shop. In the early 1930’s when the Great Depression took hold, Alastor upheld his forefather’s longstanding tradition of nourishing his kin, locating innovative protein sources that kept his family and community reasonably healthy during a time where many went hungry. Alastor prospered in his profession, as did his family. He and his wife had 8 children, three daughters and the rest sons.
It is Alastor’s youngest son, Nox Flesher and his wife Lilith, that brought true infamy to the Flesher name…